Position: Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry
Reporting to: Director, Medicinal Chemistry and ADME
Start date: Immediate
Location: Mississauga, ON
About the Role
Our team of passionate and skilled drug discovery scientists is a key factor in Dalriada’s rapid success. Since inception, the company has prioritized creating an environment that promotes professional, scientific, and personal growth and fosters agile innovation through integrative and interdisciplinary learning across all key drug discovery disciplines. We pride ourselves on providing individuals a unique opportunity in small molecule R&D in Ontario to:
• Make the most direct impact and contribute intellectually to the creation of better medicines. Our scientists design and evaluate new drug molecules across multiple therapeutic areas and are named inventors or direct contributors on patents.
• Directly interact with management teams of innovative clinical-stage pharmaceutical and VC-backed biotech companies from across Canada, US and Europe.
• Actively conduct and advance cutting-edge science in a state-of-the-art R&D facility.
• Collaborate with Dalriada’s expert interdisciplinary drug discovery scientists in medicinal & computational chemistry, cell & molecular biology, biophysics & biochemistry, ADME and proteomics (>70% PhD).
• Work closely with Dalriada senior leadership and executive team of expert drug discovery scientists, innovators, global pharmaceutical industry executives and entrepreneurs, who collectively have > 145 patents, pharma transactions > $2B, 6 companies founded, >215 years of drug discovery experience, led > 100 drug discovery programs and brought drugs to the clinic and market.
• Be at the forefront with Ontario’s largest and one of Canada’s fastest-growing drug discovery organizations. In 2022, the company is on track to grow by 50 per cent to approximately 100 employees.
• Learn new things every day in a fast-paced, stimulating, values-based company committed to driving growth, delivering solutions, being accountable and creative.
As Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry you will provide medicinal chemistry leadership on small molecule discovery projects and will be a key contributor to discovery research efforts from hit ID through development candidate nomination. This role requires you to apply your expertise and scientific knowledge in the art of medicinal chemistry, prepare and share presentations at client meetings, and interface effectively with internal cross-functional teams, CROs and external collaborators. You will bring a sense of urgency and commitment to help Dalriada’s partners reach their goal to deliver novel therapeutics to patients. The successful candidate will join a fast paced and multi-disciplinary drug discovery team comprised of talented research individuals spanning a variety of disciplines.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
• Inspirationally lead and collaborate across multiple disciplines such as organic chemistry, computational chemistry, ADME/DMPK, structural biology, biochemistry, biophysics, and proteomics to advance SAR
• Lead the hit-to-lead and lead optimization drug discovery programs to nominate development candidates
• Develop compound optimization strategies, leveraging structural and computational insights to identity novel ligands and chemical modifications and to improve key drug attributes
• Propose biological testing, ADME characterization, and other analysis based on scientific literature and rationale to understand mechanism of in vivo metabolism, clearance and/or biodistribution processes
• Contribute to study reports, patent applications, and scientific publications
• Contribute to target selection, platform development, and portfolio strategy
• Analyze, interpret, and organize data to prepare clearly articulated experimental reports and communicate the results of the projects at internal and external meetings
• Serve as a key point of contact with clients and project teams to facilitate discussions about the project direction based on SAR, Medicinal Chemistry aspect and propose next steps
• Assume the role of inter-departmental liaison in resolution of technical and scientific challenges for multiple programs
• Develop project plans and prioritize in coordination with project teams, CROs and client requirements
• Monitor project progress through tools such as regular status meetings, scheduled reviews, Gantt Charts
• Ensure work is conducted within set timeframes and to the highest scientific standards
• Lead and/or contribute to initiatives or responsibilities as assigned
Education & Certifications
• PhD in Organic Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry with at least 8 years of relevant industry experience with emphasis on medicinal chemistry and drug discovery
• A dedicated drug discovery leader with ability for developing and optimizing all aspects of a molecule simultaneously with a track record of moving drug discovery programs efficiently to development candidate
Skills, Abilities & Competencies
• Strong track record of interdisciplinary research and project leadership
• Expertise in the principles of drug discovery, medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry,
• In-depth knowledge about the application of ADME/DMPK, pharmacology, toxicology, safety, and computational chemistry for advancement of drug discovery/development process
• Highly organized with ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with aggressive timelines
• Strong written/oral communication, strong interpersonal skills, proven experience of effective client communication
• Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills. Strong attention to detail.
• Driven by scientific excellence as well as cost and process efficiency
• Technical proficiency, scientific creativity, critical thinking with ability to propose creative solutions to challenging scientific questions
• Fast learner, flexible, innovative with the ability to work effectively within cross-functional teams
• Enthusiastic, self-motivated individual wanting to work in the fast-paced and dynamic environment
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry in the subject line.
This position is open to applicants legally authorized to work in Canada.
Dalriada Drug Discovery Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to achieving accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodation is available on request for qualified candidates during the recruitment process.
All employment is conditional upon completing and obtaining a satisfactory background check which may include educational and employment verification, business references and a criminal record investigation.