Position: Chemistry Manager
Reporting to: Director, Medicinal Chemistry and ADME
Employment term: Permanent Full-time
Start date: Immediate
Location: Mississauga, On
About the Role
As a Chemistry Manager, you will manage the small molecule Medicinal Chemistry research projects in a timely manner as well as contribute towards effective departmental operations. The successful candidate will join a vibrant and multi-disciplinary drug discovery team comprised of talented research individuals spanning a variety of disciplines.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
• Inspirationally leads, directs, oversees, coaches, develops, and motivates a team of scientists
• Responsible for the direct line management of assigned Chemistry team including planning and scheduling according to project priorities. Accountable for their performance and career development
• Lead a team of 8-10 chemists in compliance with Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) rules/regulations by training, adhering and monitoring as well as reporting any workplace incidents, injuries and accidents immediately
• Provide scientific guidance to the team on medicinal chemistry projects focusing on drug discovery for designing novel compounds based on SAR and design of high throughput synthetic routes towards the target libraries
• Accountable for the team’s delivery including quantity and quality, progress reporting (internal and external), process improvement to improve customer experience, employee experience and shareholder value
• Provide technical guidance to Business Development/Drug Discovery Leaders, as well as other departments for resolving technical issues
• Review weekly project updates, experimental protocols, reports and patents
• Assume the role of inter-departmental liaison to resolve technical and scientific challenges for multiple programs
• Develop project plans and prioritize in coordination with other departments, CROs and client requirements
• Monitor project progress through tools such as regular status meetings, scheduled reviews, Gantt Charts
• Share project progress and timelines internally
• Ensure work is conducted within set timeframes and to the highest scientific standards
• Actively contribute to team’s success through routine technical review of the lab and identifying tools and processes for efficiency improvement. Train and coach scientific staff for process efficiencies by providing constructive feedback and instilling a collaborative work culture
• Develop and evaluate tools for measuring team productivity and share constant feedback
• Participate as SME for teleconferences with new and existing clients and provide technical guidance
• Collaborate with department leadership in allocating project resources - lab space, equipment, and staff
• Lead in the management of scientific staff through activities such as recruitment, performance management and professional development
• Capital planning and business case an asset
• Lead and/or contribute to departmental initiatives or responsibilities as assigned by R&D Director
Education & Certifications
• PhD in Organic Chemistry with 3-5 years direct people management
Skills, Abilities & Competencies
• Extensive theoretical and practical knowledge of chemical synthesis, analytical techniques for structure elucidation, data interpretation, R&D and Drug discovery/development
• Strong written/oral communication, strong interpersonal skills, proven experience managing people
• Managerial experience in supervising a team of R&D Chemists for innovative research projects
• Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills
• Active listener with effective verbal and written communication
• Demonstrated leadership and team building skills
• Driven by scientific excellence as well as cost and process efficiency
• Thinks critically and proposes creative solutions to challenging scientific questions
• Fast learner, flexible, innovative with the ability to work effectively within cross-functional teams
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet aggressive project timelines
• Ability to schedule tasks based on changing priorities
Our team of passionate and skilled drug discovery scientists is a key factor in Dalriada’s rapid success. Since inception, the company has prioritized creating an environment that promotes professional, scientific, and personal growth and fosters agile innovation through integrative and interdisciplinary learning across all key drug discovery disciplines. We pride ourselves on providing individuals a unique opportunity in small molecule R&D in Ontario to:
• Make the most direct impact and contribute intellectually to the creation of better medicines. Our scientists design and evaluate new drug molecules across multiple therapeutic areas and are named inventors or direct contributors on patents.
• Directly interact with management teams of innovative clinical-stage pharmaceutical and VC-backed biotech companies from across Canada, US and Europe.
• Actively conduct and advance cutting-edge science in a state-of-the-art R&D facility.
• Collaborate with Dalriada’s expert interdisciplinary drug discovery scientists in medicinal & computational chemistry, cell & molecular biology, biophysics & biochemistry, ADME and proteomics (>70% PhD).
• Work closely with Dalriada senior leadership and executive team of expert drug discovery scientists, innovators, global pharmaceutical industry executives and entrepreneurs, who collectively have > 145 patents, pharma transactions > $2B, 6 companies founded, >215 years of drug discovery experience, led > 100 drug discovery programs and brought drugs to the clinic and market.
• Be at the forefront with Ontario’s largest and one of Canada’s fastest-growing drug discovery organizations. In 2022, the company is on track to grow by 50 per cent to approximately 100 employees.
• Learn new things every day in a fast-paced, stimulating, values-based company committed to driving growth, delivering solutions, being accountable and creative.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume to email@example.com referencing Chemistry Manager in the subject line.
This position is open to applicants legally authorized to work in Canada.
Dalriada Drug Discovery Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to achieving accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodation is available on request for qualified candidates during the recruitment process.
All employment is conditional upon completing and obtaining a satisfactory background check which may include educational and employment verification, business references and a criminal record investigation.